One marriage no one can object to is the mouthwatering combination of wine and cheese. Each is delicious on its own, but when you pair the two, something magical happens.
In a great wine and cheese pairing, you’ll find that the cheese elevates the wine, and vice versa. When their collision brings out new intricacies and nuances in each other, it’s your most obvious clue to a successful synergy of two different components.
But with so many options, orchestrating this beautiful symphony and harmonizing impeccable pairings may seem overwhelming. Wines vary in acidity, sweetness, and structure, while cheeses boast different flavors, fat content, and textures. Where do you even start?
The key is to think locally. As the adage goes, “What grows together goes together.” This brings in the element of terroir, which describes how foods get their qualities from the earth and the climate, and that a wine and a cheese from the same region should share complementary properties. So pairing by terroir is a great place to start when pursuing wine and cheese nirvana.
At Old Europe Cheese, we partner with local wineries to help you discover some of the best ways to mix and match two great of life’s greatest culinary pleasures. We spoke with our friendly neighborhood wine connoisseurs and asked them about their favorite Old Europe Cheese parings. Here’s what they said:
- Cabernet Franc with Reny Picot Smoked Gouda
- Merlot with Reny Picot Gouda
- Chardonnay with Reny Picot Edam
- Big Daddy’s Hard Cider with a Reny Picot Fontina & Apple Grilled Cheese
- Gunzan Rosé with Reny Picot Mantoro
- Riesling with Reny Picot Fontina
- Peace, Love & Bubbles with Reny Picot Camembert
- Stone Temple Pinot with Reny Picot Brie
- Devil’s Head Red with Reny Picot Smoked Gouda
- Pinot Gris with Reny Picot Edam
- Red Hawk Red with Reny Picot Brie
- Inaugural Red with Reny Picot Mantoro
- Feelin Grü-V with Reny Picot Gouda
- Amore with Reny Picot Fontina
- Cabernet Sauvignon with Reny Picot Smoked Gouda
Of course, sometimes the best pairings happen when you break the rules (e.g. Reny Picot Smoked Gouda actually pairs really well with beer)—so don’t overthink it. Remember that often the only thing that matters is that you really like the wine and the cheese and so pairing them together only seems natural. No matter what your style, a sumptuous pairing of local wine and Reny Picot cheese is sensational gustatory pleasure that makes you feel cool and euphoric. Or maybe that’s just the wine.
Be sure to visit our wine partners to try these recommended pairings for yourself! You can also check out our specific product pages for more wine pairing suggestions. Contact us today if you own a winery or brewery and are interested in partnering with us here at Old Europe Cheese. We’d love to hear from you!