Gouda, Carrot & Cumin Loaf
Carrots and cumin are a tried-and-true combination. As is the pairing of cumin and Gouda, which, like so many trendy gastronomic combinations, is in fact as ancient as it is modern. This is a great bake for warming up on a cold day, equally lovely with a bowl of soup or on its own with a slather of butter.
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 ounces Reny Picot Gouda, grated
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups carrots, grated
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, two-thirds of the Gouda, cumin seeds, and salt.
- In another bowl, mix together the carrots, eggs, and olive oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour the batter into the pan, smooth over, and top with the rest of the Gouda.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Serve warm.