Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
What happens when you mix the first-string melting properties and earthy mushroom notes of Reny Picot Fontina with a host of fresh Italian flavors and ingredients? A crowd. A word of advice: spread these Italian stuffed mushrooms out around the room to avoid a bottleneck (that’s if they make it out of the kitchen).
2 tablespoons olive oil
24-30 stuffable mushrooms (about 2-inch-diameter), stems removed and chopped, caps reserved
1/2 cup chopped fennel bulb
1/4 cup drained and chopped sun-dried tomatoes
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grated Reny Picot Fontina
1/4 cup packed and chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil a 15×10-inch glass baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chopped mushroom stems, fennel bulb, sun-dried tomatoes, and garlic. Sauté until stems and fennel are tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to medium bowl and let cool 5-10 minutes.
- Add Fontina and basil. Season filling with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange mushroom caps in prepared baking dish. Mound filling in mushroom cavities, pressing to adhere.
- Bake about 25 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and filling is heated through.