A rich, stretchy, smooth, and silky French dish, pommes aligot combines whipped potatoes and high-quality gourmet melted cheese to create the ultimate stick-to-your-ribs winter comfort food that will warm you from the inside out.
2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cups heavy cream
3 garlic cloves, minced
16 ounces grated Reny Picot Fontina
8 ounces grated Reny Picot Gouda
Salt and pepper
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook the potatoes until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and cool for about 5 minutes. Use a food mill, potato masher, or ricer to finely mash the potatoes, or pulse the potatoes into a purée in a food processor.
- Return the puréed potatoes to the pot and return the pot to medium heat. Add the butter, heavy cream, and garlic and stir until melted together.
- Add the Fontina and Gouda to the pot and beat them into the potatoes with a wooden spoon until the cheese and potatoes come together and have a stringy, elastic texture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve warm.